Blog > Landlords Gas and Safety Certificate London

The Health & Safety Executive states that:

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:

  • Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Keep a record of each safety check
  • You should also keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property.

Is it just landlords that need gas safety check certification?

Gas safety check certificates are required by:

  • Landlords
  • Housing associations
  • Local authorities
  • Hotels and B&Bs – for any gas appliances used in guest accommodation even if it is not sited near where the guests are actually staying.
  • Colleges
  • Boarding schools
  • Hostels

Which appliances require a gas safety certificate?

These safety checks cover all types of gas appliance within the property (portable or fixed), including:

  • central heating boiler
  • hob or cooker
  • gas fire
  • water heater

The gas safety certificate confirms that the appliance (or applicances) is safe to use and a copy of this record should be given to the tenant.

By law, a check and certification has to be carried out annually and failure to do so can result in fines or imprisonment for the landlord should a serious life threatening incident occur to a tenant. For more information about landlord’s responsibility for gas safety.

Be Sociable, Share!